Nigeria’s coronavirus infection toll has surpassed the 7,000 mark after recording 388 new COVID-19 cases in 17 states and the federal capital territory (FCT).

The new mark comes just three days after recording over 6000 cases, and this spike in case is attributed to high community transmission rate and increased testing rate.

The agency made the announcement on Thursday night via its Twitter handle, saying;

NCDC

@NCDCgov

339 new cases of #COVID19;

139-Lagos
28-Kano
28-Oyo
25-Edo
22-Katsina
18-Kaduna
14-Jigawa
13-Yobe
13-Plateau
11-FCT
8-Gombe
5-Ogun
4-Bauchi
4-Nasarawa
3-Delta
2-Ondo
1-Rivers
1-Adamawa

7016 cases of #COVID19 in Nigeria
Discharged: 1907
Deaths: 211

View image on Twitter

11 death were recorded, bringing the total number of fatalities to 211, while the number of discharged patients increased from 1,840 recorded on Wednesday to 1907.

Also, NCDC announced in its COVID-19 situation report that total samples tested nationwide have increased from 38,231 to 40,043 as at May 20th.

Meanwhile, Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire has said 70 percent of Nigerians who have died from the novel coronavirus in the country are persons with underlying conditions like hypertension, diabetes, kidney disease, HIV, cancer, and tuberculosis.

He stated this during the briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID -19 on Thursday, May 21.

Giving more statistics, the Minister added that analysis of the number of coronavirus deaths showed that 70 percent were males while the remaining 30 percent were females.

Ehanire stressed that about 70% fatalities were persons who are 60 years old while a majority of positives were between the ages of 29 and 49.

He urged Nigerians to continue to adhere to health guidelines in order to reduce infection rate in the country.